Why Use SERVPRO Professionals for Mold and Mildew?
BACKGROUND: Mold grows in filaments called “hyphae”, and a network of these hyphae are called a “mycelium”. The "hyphal tip" is the part that eats bacteria.
Disinfectants work by killing the bacteria that the mold’s hyphal tip absorbs. What does that mean, exactly? Disinfectants first stop the growth of mold by preventing there from being a food source (the bacteria).
With regards to mold control paints, those will prevent the growth of mildew and mold, but won’t stop or kill existing mold necessarily, so it is important to have your walls treated and washed BEFORE applying this kind of paint. (Don’t know how to treat your walls for such a project? That’s where SERVPRO comes in!)
There is a crash course in mold on our blog if you want to arm yourself with even more knowledge.
But what about existing mold? Well, if the mold is growing on a non-porous surface (think linoleum), the disinfectants will kill the mold, and when it’s removed, you don’t have to worry about regrowth. It is only on non-porous surfaces that bleach can be used as a disinfectants; for any other surfaces, professional-grade equipment and solutions are the standard.
On a porous surface (think wood) the roots of the hyphae are deeper inside, which means spraying and removing it won’t be as effective, and regrowth is a possibility. Letting a treatment sit over a period of time will discourage mold growth, and kill the roots of the mold inside the structure.
- Stay out of all affected areas
- Turn off HVAC system and turn off all fans
- DO NOT touch or disturb areas with mold or water damage.
- DO NOT blow any air across affected surfaces
- DO NOT attempt to dry the areas yourself.
- DO NOT pour bleach on or utilize any other disinfectants onto the mold.
If you suspect a mold issue, let our skilled team of professionals at SERVPRO know.
Call us at 847-516-1600.