How Crucial Is Having a Safety Plan When Addressing Flood Damage Incidents in Southern McHenry County
SERVPRO Identifies Safety Issues at Your Flooded Property and Finds Ways to Address Them during Restoration
The intensity of flooding incidents varies, thus resulting in different levels of damage to properties. The safety issues caused by such incidents in Southern McHenry county properties may not be very clear until restoration is underway, thus exposing people to unnecessary risks.
Safety issues vary, just like the destruction of homes due to weather. So you must come up with a unique safety plan before embarking on any restoration task. Hiring a professional like SERVPRO is a simple way to cover all bases since every member of our restoration team is trained about safety, thus equipping them with the skills to protect themselves, the structure, and anyone around the property.
Common safety issues after a flooding incident include:
- Damaged utilities such as severed gas or power lines
- Loss of structural strength in crucial structural areas
- Presence of sharp objects like broken glass, exposed nails, and wood splinters
- Exposure to Asbestos-containing materials
The different safety hazards require distinct responses. Damaged utility lines require immediate action. For instance, turning off valves to stop gas supply and switching of electricity mains are crucial actions. Our SERVPRO technicians can readily locate the necessary valves or switches and also test the lines afterward to ensure there is no gas or power transmission.
Other safety hazards are better off left untouched until the correct solution is found. For ACM, Asbestos-containing materials, disturbance worsens the problem since it releases harmful fine residues. Our SERVPRO technicians help identify ACMs and also facilitate removal after establishing containment and using the right PPE.
Other steps necessary to establish safety during flood restoration include:
- Spraying EPA-registered disinfectants into any standing water left in the house
- Doing controlled demolition to release the water trapped within structural elements
- Organizing the loss site by zip-tying hoses and cables and collecting debris in trash large cans
SERVPRO of Southern McHenry County take simple and advanced steps to guarantee safety during flood damage restoration. Call us at (847) 516-1600. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.